Signal - Mirror - Over Shoulder - Go
You should signal at least 100 feat before your turn and remember to slow down early to allow more time to complete the SMOG check. You should check your mirror and shoulder as soon as you signal and then get into the appropriate lane for your turn or for your approach to the curb. You must also SMOG prior to pulling away from the curb. The SMOG check ensures the DMV examiner that you are paying attention to cars and bikes who may be entering the turn lane or bike lane at the same time.
Before you take off be sure to check your entire surroundings. You will be required to scan the DMV parking lot and also Signal to exit the parking lot. Remember to check your mirror and blindspot. Then exaggerate your scan for Pedestrians prior to going over the sidewalk.
On every Right Turn you must remember to Signal and Slow down while Quickly checking your Right Mirror and over your Right Shoulder for Bikes. Do not vear while making your SMOG check, You must enter the Bike Lane prior to every Right Turn. Do not enter until you have finished your SMOG check. Before turning angle your car to the right and be close enough to the curb that a Bicyclist would not attempt to pull between your vehicle and the curb. Always look up the road for cars, people and stop signs prior to getting up to the speed limit.
When making left turns you must Signal and Slow down while checking your Mirror and over your Shoulder prior to entering your turn lane. Do not enter a turn lane until you are finished with your SMOG check. Before turning make sure it is your turn or clear of pedestrians and oncoming traffic. Be sure to make quick glances left towards the yellow line of the road your turning on to. Do not go over the yellow line and do not fear away from it. Always look up the road for cars, people and stop signs
A Round-A-Bout is an intersection where you are required to yield to.vehicles & pedestrians prion to entering. If you notice a pedestrian always wait behind the crosswalk or corner. If no pedestrians, then make quick glances to your left to see if any cars are arriving before you. If so, then wait behind the Triangles painted on the road or the Yeild Sign. If you are the first to arrive then continue into the Round-A-Bout at a save speed of usually 15mph. You must enter to the Right & Signal your intent to exit just before you leave. Always watch for Pedestrians . The examiner may tell you to Turn Left, Turn Right, or Go Straight at the Round-A-Bout. Remember: Left = 3rd Exit, Straight = 2nd Exit, Right = 1st Exit. If you are exiting right away then you should signal Right Prior to entering. Never signal left in a Round-A-Bout.
Always SMOG prior to moving towards the curb. Approach it at a slow speed and at about a 45 degree angle. You should be parallel and within 16 inches of the curb. You will be asked to Back up 50 feet in a straight line. When asked, place the vehicle in reverse, check your entire surroundings and shift your body position to make checking your right mirror and out the back window more comfortable. 3 mph is recommended and do not hit the gas unless needed. Use your Right mirror to make sure you are straight and make quick glances out the Back window for traffic. The Examiner will tell you when to stop. Practice with your car a lot.
TBe Prepared for Behind the Wheel Drive Test. Be Sure to go through the Vehicle Check List a least a day before your test. DMV will not allow you take the test if the car you are using is not up to par.
1. Driver Window must roll down
2. Windshield must be free of Large Cracks
3. Rearview Mirros must be in working order
4. Turn Signals must be in working order
5. Brake Lights must be in working order
6. Tires can't be bald or flat
7. Horn must honk
8. Emergency Brake Demonstration
9. Arm Signal Demonstration
10. Windshield Wipers Switch
11. Defroster Switch Front and Rear
12. Emergency Flasher Switch
13. Headlight Switch
14. Passenger Door Must Open
15. Glove box must close
16. Seat bels must be worn
It is extremely rare for our students to make 15 errors on the DMV Drive Test, In Fact, The Most Common way Applicants fail their Drive Test is an Automatic Fail. Below is a list of ways you could Fail your test.
1. Park in the Front Parking lot of DMV 15 minutes prior to the test
2. Walk in and sit down, some one will call your name. You do not need to grab a Number.
3. Bring your Permit, Gold Certificate, Insurance, and Registration into the DMV and hand it to the DMV employee. You do not have to pay for the first three test attempts. You already paid when you got your permit.
4. Whoever goes with you to the DMV must have an ID saying they are no longer a provisional driver. They might check
5. While you go over paperwork, your parent will be sent out front to take the car around back, where you will start.
6. Once the paperwork is finished, you will be sent out the back door. You will have a couple minuets to set your Seat and Mirrors. Remember to set the Parking Brake as well if your parent forgot.
7. The Examiner will walk up to your window, You should have the window down already so he/she does not have to knock. they will have you turn the key to the power position, but do not start the car. The examiner will then go over the Pre-Drive Checklist and inspect the car. He will then hop in and hopefully put his seat belt on. If not remind him.
8. He/She will go over a few things about the test then have you start the car and take off. Before you take off be sure to check your entire surroundings. You will be required to scan the DMV parking lot and also Signal to exit the parking lot. Remember to check your mirror and blindspot. Then exaggerate your scan for Pedestrians prior to going over the sidewalk. Good Luck